Tuesday, November 27, 2007

1st Appointment with Our Pediatrician

Today I met with Dr. Harold Magalnick. He is a pediatrician at Pediatrix in Phoenix. After being asked for this information twice from my OB (and her nurse), I decided I needed to heed their advice and meet with the doctor before making a final decision.

I have to thank Michelle and Abbi for referring me to Pediatrix. It seemed like a great facility with a very helpful staff. Meeting Dr. Magalnick was just as nice. He sat with me for 25 minutes talking about my pregnancy and Baby Madelyn (we even talked about one of his star patients, Grayce). He seemed very attentive; listening closely to what I had to say. He even got small details right throughout our discussion…things like asking and remembering Madelyn’s name. We talked briefly about his background and he shared with me his passion to be a pediatrician. He said he knew it was what he wanted to do since he was 10 years old.

Dr. Magalnick reassured me that he would guide both me and Chris through this new process of parenthood. He said after she was born he would give us shot schedules and feeding schedules. And as dumb as it may sound, I was so relieved. How is a person supposed to know these things unless you’re committed to reading ALL the books (and who has time for that??). But even then you have to decipher between who knows best. I was just happy knowing he would have a plan in place for us! :)

We also discussed something Chris and I have been weighing the options for…Cord Blood Banking. We recently started to do some research about this process, but we are definitely leaning in that direction. I asked Dr. Magalnick if he had any reasons for not doing this procedure, and he basically said that most people will never have the need to use it (knock on wood), but that it’s something that can make a difference between life and death should someone become very ill. He was really good about not persuading me one way or the other, but he gave me some good information to think about. We will continue to do our research and then will make our decision, although it seems like an obvious one to me. ;)

In the meantime, I will check this off my To Do List. Tomorrow I have an appointment with a new primary care physician (since I have only ever seen the nurse practitioner, I need to have this established before Madelyn is born).

Then it’s off to our first Child Birth class tomorrow night; now THATshould be interesting

No comments: