Monday, October 1, 2007

Shopping Time

This weekend, Chris and I decided (since we finally know we’re having a girl) to do a little shopping. I have been spending lots of time browsing through catalogs to find just the right nursery ensemble. Since most of you know I really thought I was having a boy, we had to change the plan just a bit. Not that our little girl wouldn’t enjoy some of the more masculine items we had in mind, but we wanted to make it special, just for her.

So, we headed out to USA Baby. I knew this store was way over-priced, but I thought it would give us a palce to start and eventually compare prices to once we got to Babies R Us and Target. Well, over-priced is understated. Although they had many adorable things to choose from, everything seemed to be priced at $500 or more. And that was just the bedding. Ugh. We did manage to get some good ideas though, and by the time we were on the road to Babies R US we had a better vision of what we might end up with in her room.

Have you been to Babies R Us? If you haven’t and you are like me (easily overwhelmed with too many choices) stay away. From the minute we walked into the store to the second we walked out I was in a state of fear. Now, I’m not sure if this was fear for all of the things staring me in the face that I knew would soon be a part of my daily life, or fear of trying to pick out one style of stroller out of about 25. Fortunately, our goal for the day was to try to find a crib and dresser. We spent a little time browsing the other isles, but soon found ourselves in the furniture section. We must have walked around this section 6 or 7 times before I finally sat down in a glider (of which I must surely buy). Here Chris and I discussed the fact that although our sweetest little angel deserves the very best, it is absolutely outrageous to pay $600 for a crib. We decided since she will only use it for a couple years, it would probably be wise to get something nice, but less expensive. We picked out a style we liked there and left with a flyer.

Once I got home, I decided to check the old standby….eBay! It’s amazing what they have listed. I’m not sure we’ll go that route, but it sure is tempting! I think if we get things organized in the next few weeks we’ll be okay even if something has to be ordered. We don’t want to get anything too quickly because Daddy still needs to do the floors! :) Grandma R is also anxiously waiting to paint the nursery. She apparently LOVES to paint, and by all means we are going to let her! Of course, that will require us to come up with a plan for the room. We are getting closer on that, too….think pink and green (very trendy, but lots of options there).

Everyone is still asking about the name. We are close to deciding, but want to make sure we haven’t left out any ideas. We have enjoyed getting everyone’s comments and ideas about their own personal choices, although some have us a little scared. Perhaps once we have it narrowed down a bit we’ll add another
poll and let you have some fun with it. OR…we may just tell you what we’ve decided. :)

No comments: