Sunday, March 9, 2008

Papa's Girl

Chris and I feel very fortunate that Madelyn has both sets of grandparents in town who get to see her as often as they like. And both sets of grandparents love her to death. As a matter of fact, Grandma R has already been crowned, “She Who Has the Magic Touch.” Madelyn already knows her voice, and is calmed as soon as Grandma picks her up and kisses her cheeks. We have been making as many trips to their house as possible so she can get to know them. It won’t be long before they are watching her three days a week, and I am sure by the time I go back to work Madelyn will already know them quite well.

One of the sweetest things in the world to watch is my dad (aka Papa), holding Madelyn. He has always loved spending time with his grandkids, but I have never seen him quite so excited to hold and care for one of them. There have been moments when Madelyn will be crying to be fed, and Dad will say, “Give her to Papa.” Last night he held her while the rest of us finished dinner. I sat behind him, just watching as he interacted with her…talking to her, and rocking her to sleep. It brought a smile to my face because my dad has always been my “Main Man.” He has always supported me no matter what, and I am so very excited that Madelyn will be able to share this same bond with her Papa. It is certainly one that cannot be matched!


No comments: