Monday, March 31, 2008

7 Weeks and Growing

Today Madelyn is 7 weeks old. I know I said I was going to start doing the monthly thing after 4 weeks, but who can resist taking yet another picture of such a cute little girl? We can’t, so here we are…

The last few days have been somewhat hectic. Madelyn has caught herself a cold. :( We weren’t really surprised by this, being that Chris and I have both been fighting bronchitis and sinus infections since the day she was born. I suppose we’re lucky she lasted this long. It is hard enough being sick as an adult, but I feel so bad for little Madelyn. She has a cough and her breathing is a little labored which breaks our hearts. We took her to our doctor’s office on Sunday (how nice it was to learn they have hours on both Saturdays and Sundays). Her lungs checked out perfectly normal, so we were told to continue to do what we have been doing…saline drops in the nose and a humidifier in her room. Actually Chris and I find that we have benefited from having a humidifier in our room as well. ;) By the way, while at the doctor's office we found out that Madelyn has hit the 10-pound mark right on the nose!

If you read this blog often, you are probably starting to notice her latest milestone…real smiles. :) Chris and I can hardly help ourselves. We try to get her to smile every chance we get…and it’s not hard to do. We use to have to drag ourselves out of bed at 2 AM for a feeding, but now we get up, actually excited because we know we’ll get grins from ear to ear. How wonderful that she is so happy when she wakes! This use to be the one time we could count on her smiles, but as of this morning, they have become much more regular.

Her sleeping patterns have also become much more regular. She is sleeping about 5 hours and then wakes up for a feeding, and then goes back to sleep for about 4 more hours. She is also taking two hardy naps during the day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. What a blessing!

Take a closer look at the pictures and you'll notice her hair is even growing back! YIPPEE! It's just a little bit right now, but we're glad is starting to come back! Now the biggest question still remains: Will she get our curls??? Her eyes seem to be turning blue, but we know it's early, so we'll just wait and see.

On another note...I received a message today from my knee surgeon's office. They have a match for my knee. Although I plan to talk to the doctor tomorrow, Chris and I talked about it, and we just don't see any way to make it work. I can't imagine trying to recover from such a major surgery and trying to take care of a newborn all at the same time. I don't know that I will ever feel like there's a good time to have it, but I feel like if she was a few years old it might work. The only problem with that is after so many years the surgery will no longer correct the problem because my knee will have gotten so much worse. I don't know what the doctor will say about it all, but we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

sweetcakes said...

I love the pictures! She is growing up too fast! I hope you all feel better soon. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful! Guess who's picture will be on my computers desktop at work? :-)