Friday, February 8, 2008

Week 39

First, I wanted to share a funny story with everyone…

My sister, Kristin, called me this morning to tell me that Owen woke up and was running around the house saying, “Madelyn was born! Madelyn was born!” Kristin tried to tell him it was just a dream, but he insisted she was here. He even said, “She is because Papa sent a picture on the computer!” Too funny. :) That story made my morning! Obviously Chris and I are not the only ones who are excited about her arrival. ;)

Here’s the latest scoop from the doctor:

We have finally made progress!! I am 1 centimeter dilated; -2 station (she has dropped enough for Dr. Tom to feel her head); and 60% effaced (cervix is thinning out).

Dr. Tom’s next on-call date is Monday the 11th so she asked if I wanted an elective induction. I really wasn’t quite sure what to say. I am so excited to have this baby, but I really don’t want to force the issue. I asked her if inducing me would make for a harder labor. She said yes. Well…say no more. Why would anyone ask for a harder labor? I asked her for her opinion and although she is always politically correct, she said if I was hesitating at all that I should wait. She said sometimes if you rush into it, and things don’t progress fast enough you end up needing a C-Section. With that, she said, sometimes comes guilt. I don’t want a C-section unless it’s absolutely unavoidable so that helped make my decision, too. She also said they’d have to do 3 cycles of gel and if that didn’t move things along fast enough they would send me home. I don’t want to go through that. I told her we’d consider induction if I go past my due date (next Friday, February 15th). She said that was a good idea.

So, Chris and I will have a little talk with Madelyn tonight and remind her that it would be nice to have Dr. Tom deliver her. Perhaps she’ll decide to make an appearance next week all on her own. :) Whatever the case, it won’t be long now…

2 comments:

sweetcakes said...

Very exciting! I'm sending all of my good thoughts and love your way!

Anonymous said...

HI. I went to high school with Chris and I told him I like reading your baby blog because you write really well and it's very entertaining. I was coming on here to see if she was actually here yet. I can't wait to see her. So exciting. Hope to hear from you guys soon! Love, Marta